How to Change or Remove Your Representative Payee

If you have a representative payee (rep payee) who manages your Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, you may want to change or remove them for various reasons. Here’s how you can do it:

Changing Your Representative Payee

You may want to change your rep payee if you find someone or an organization that better fits your needs, or if you believe your current rep payee is misusing your benefits, not doing a good job, or not following the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) rules for rep payees.
To request a change of rep payee, go to your local Social Security Administration field office and explain your reasons for wanting the change. You’ll be given a form to fill out, and the SSA will provide guidance if necessary. The SSA will then review your request and make a determination.

Removing Your Representative Payee

Generally, the SSA will remove a rep payee and make direct payments to you if you can demonstrate that you are mentally and physically able to manage your own benefits. To request the removal of your rep payee, you’ll need to complete the appropriate SSA form, which will ask you to explain why you can now handle your own benefits.
The SSA will then review your request, which may involve an interview with you, interviews with other knowledgeable people, and a review of documents to determine if you are capable of managing your own funds.

See also  How to Catch Burbot: The Ultimate Guide for 2024

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *